non Roc: Investor WANTED! I have a developed a brilliant Inv

Finally, a topic on the list I'm qualified to comment on :)  It really depends
on whether your invention is a completely new device or an improvement on a
existing device.  Your best bet is to spend the $100 or so and actually talk to
a real patent attorney.  Based on what you tell him, he should be able to
estimate your patent costs, which can easily run into the 10's of thousands of
dollars.
     That also doesn't cover the costs of protecting your patent, which you
have to do (if you don't protect your patent you lose it).  There is no upper
limit on the potential costs for lawsuits and such.  Again, it really depends
on a lot of factors and it will be worth the investment to ask a professional.
     The other thing you need to keep in mind is that a good idea for a product
is less than 10% of what you need to create a successful business.  My favorite
example of this concept is MacDonald's.  Everybody and their cousin can make a
better hamburger, so we know it isn't a better product that makes it
successful.  It's the business system (and yes it is a system) that sets them
apart.
     You really need to find a team (lawyers, financial advisors, investors,
etc) that have brought a product successfully to market in whatever field your
invention is in.  They'll take up to 80% (or more) of the net profits from your
invention, but even 10% of a successful business is always worth more than 100%
of a failed company.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Colin