15" wheels?

Depends.
On present and future wheel width.
On present and future wheel offset.
On whether you presently rub on the inside or outside of the tire.

For example;
Let's say you now rub on the inside of the tire.
1) Going to a wider wheel (your tire width will change very little, if at
all) with the same offset will exacerbate the interference.
2) Going to a wider wheel with less offset; the amount of rubbing will
depend on if the offset change is less than, equal to, or
     more than the width increase.
3) Going to a wider wheel with more offset will REALLY exacerbate the
interference.
4)Staying with the same width wheel, with the same offset, will probably
result in no change.
5) Same width wheel with less offset will lessen interference.
6) Same width wheel with more offset will exacerbate interference.
Safest route; number 5, with possibly number 2 if offset change is greater
than half the wheel width increase.  (Gets complicated, eh?  Maybe too
complicated for me at this early hour....)

Now, if you rub on the outside of the tire;
1) no change
2) same answer as in first example
3) same answer as 2
4) same answer as in first examlpe
5) exacerbate
6) lessen
Safest route: number 6, with possibly number 2 only if offset change is LESS
than half etc, etc..

(okay list, where have I screwed up...?)

Ummmm, as you can see, the variables (amount of wheel width, amount of
offset, etc.) are such that the only way to find out for certain is to MOUNT
'EM UP and DRIVE!!
(yawn!  I'm goin' back to bed...)

Larry  sandiego16V

> sorry scirocco folks for the OT, but I thought you may be able to lend a
> hand. I am thinking about upgrading my 84 GTI to 15" wheels and running
> 195/50-15's on it. what are the pro's and cons of this setup? I have a
slight
> rubbing problem on the drivers front side running 195/60-14's right now,
will
> this intensify or stay the same? thanks for any insight

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!