Couple Questions - Long

"Nice wide snow tires" is 180 degrees in the wrong direction. For best
traction on snow and wet surfaces you want a skinny little profile, like a
165/80R14. Wide tires will float over the top of the surface while the
skinny ones sink in and find actual traction. Except on pure ice surfaces,
but unless you explore a lot of frozen lakes you are missing the benefit of
snow tires with a wide size.

Also, a wider tire is more prone to tramlining and more sensitive to
alignment discrepancies, some combination of which seems to describe the
second problem you describe. Double check you toe setting, make sure it is
just a smidge (1/16-1/8") toed-in.

The bounce could be a balance issue, an out-of-round tire, a flat-spotted
tire if it has been sitting (might reshape after putting some miles on
them), a blown strut or a bent wheel. Eyeball the car looking for wheel
weights, stress marks on tire sidewalls, wobbly wheels (have a friend move
the car slowly, walk behind and watch), or oil on the strut/shock shafts.

When I first put 14" wheels on my cabby if felt decidedly heavier and was
almost scary to drive until I added GTI swaybars and aligned it. Now it
feels just like my GTI, go figure...

Cheers,

Christian Els
Columbia, MO