1 wire Vs. 3 wire OXS

jester@westfailure.net wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Jonas K. wrote:
>
> > The reason is that (as you know) since the 16v location is so far from the
> > head, it stays colder much longer. What you may not realize is that if you
> > have a catalytic converter then it's life will be drastically shortened by
> > the heat generated by the extra fuel.
> >
> > The difference in cost is small compared to the cost of a catalytic
> > converter.
> Ahh, a wrinkle...
>
> I have a TT race downpipe, and my OXS is maybe 4 inches from the exhaust
> manifold rather than down by the (now non-existent) cat. So, if i want a
> cat i'll have to buy one either way ;)
>
> So, is the 3 wire Vs. 1 wire decision made more by location at the MFG end
> or ???
>
> take care,
>
> Steve

It's made by design of the auto manufacturer and where they place the O2
sensor.

Early cars had them up in the manifold. Later ones had them farther
downstream. Heat is good but I'll bet the later ones, even while heated,
have a longer life span.

> But, once the car is warm the only difference is the 1 wire lasts 30k, and
> the 3 wire lasts 60k...

Get the three wire for your 16v, but save by going with one from Mike er
Mark.

btw- ND was doing my fuel to air mix w/ the big machine and they
mentioned the header I had, w/ the O2 sensor 'bung hole' down in front
of the cat, needed to be the three wire type. But I had an 81 so I had
bought the single wire. Now I have a stock dual down pipe though.

TBerk