front end whine

So, to diagnose the below problems, try this.

Get your car moving fast enough so that you can hear the whine. Then turn
the car (find a twisty road) so as to load up either side of the car. Does
the noise get louder or go away? If it does, then I'd say it's a wheel
bearing, or both. The side that is loaded when the noise is louder is the
shot bearing. At this point it's more annoying than anything, but eventually
the bearing will overheat and sieze, this will lead to _interesting_
handling characteristics, when you need it the least.

If there is no change in noise with side-to-side loading, then play around
with the clutch, gear selection, coasting in gear, and in neutral etc. If
these affect the noise, then you've got tranny issues. FWIW my AGB tranny
made a speed dependent whine when coasign in gear. In neutral there was no
noise. I drained the fluid and it looked like metallic paint- self
machining. :-(

Any accessory/belt issue will be RPM depentent, Check tightness on belts,
remove belts and spin pulleys, etc. The timeing belt tensioner may whine as
it's on it's last legs, this is also RPM depentent, and warrants immediate
fixin'. Not as urgent on your 84 as on a 16v but a PITA do deal with
nonetheless if the T-belt snaps.

HTH,
Jonas