From: BHonnold
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 1:40 AM
Subject: RE: ABF vs ABA with 16V head...

Yes there are significant differences between the euro only ABF motor and a
US ABA.  The ABF uses the 16v lower crank pulley, intermediate shaft and oil
pump.  Of course the ABF also has 16v pistons where the ABA is 8V.  When you
put a 16v head on a US ABA block you get 8:1 compression....not good for
anyting at all but losing races to every honda you meet.

To bring compression back up you can do several things.  Source out ABF
pistons, pay $500+ for custom forged pistons, or rebush the ABA rods to use
2.0 16v pistons and wrist pins from a 9A block and get back to 9.25:1
compression and then use a thinner Headgasket to get back to the 10.25:1 of
an ABF motor.

The ABF also has a better higher flowing head, different cams, better
flowing intake manifold and a single butterfly TB.

HTH

Brian H