Fuel Tank Breather Lines? (was RE: Vaccuum lines etc)

My car has a mess of tubes (literally 6 or 8 of 'em) and a strange black box
that sits underneath the rear quarter window by the fuel filler. A few come
from the tank, a few come from a vaccuum bottle in the front fender (I
think), and some plug into the filler tube. Any suggestions for what to do
with all this? Out of all my Haynes/Bentley/Chiltions/etc manuals, only one
covered anything about it and it wasn't the same as mine. They didn't
explain what it all did...

Neal