My scirocco tried to kill me!!! (long)

Marc,

    Had the same thing happen to my wife's cabriolet last year.  Though we had a
little warning but it wasn't constant enough to pin-point the problem.  It would
wiggle & shake for her, but I could beat the hell out of the car for 2 hours and
it would be rock solid.
    On day on her way to work, she got the wiggle followed by a loud pop and the
car shook voilently.  She managed to get the car off the hiway (somehow) and
called me at work.  When I got a flatbed trailer out there, I went to move the
car but as soon as I sat in it, the rear tire fell slap off.  So I know exactly
how ya felt.  I got lucky though, local VW shop/hangout had everything I needed
to fix it right then and there.  45min later the car as back on the road.

William