emissions testing

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:03:16 -0800 (PST) Mash
> <type53@yahoo.com> writes:
> > --- Chris Jung <palace_master@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Here in Canada, if you install a newer motor,
> like
> > > the 16V in a '79; the car will have to meet the
> > > emissions standards of the newer motor that you
> installed.
> > This is the "official" law in Maryland and it is
> also
> > federal law in the USA.
>
> Ok...
>
> How different are the specs, of a '79 1.6L 8V  Vs.
> '88 1.8L 16V?
> Probably not a whole lot...
>
> When my emissions were checked, they didn't even pop
> the hood... 8^)

Hey, I don't know, I was just citing the law . . .

In reality, the standards for 1979 have to be easier
than for 1988 - I don't think they test per car
model/motor.

If they knew you had a 1988 motor (and cared), they
would make you meet the 1988 levels.

I get a handout on this every time I take my car in
for emission tests . . .

You'll probably never have a problem, since they
really don't seem to look for this kind of stuff
(yet).

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)