Help! starter problem.

My starter has recently started sticking after a longish journey.
Unfortunately, my journey to & from work is long enough - becoming a real
PITA! Not sure if it will always turn immediately after switching off but
certainly if I come back 10-15 minutes later there's a good chance it will
have stuck. Leaving for a couple of hours or overnight makes no difference.
Sometimes it won't turn at all, other times it's very slow. A good clunk on
the side of the starter case with an iron bar usually frees it up.  Don't
think there  is a problem with battery to starter wiring as it was replaced
not that long ago and still looks good.
How easy is it to split the case to lube any bushes/bearings? Is it even
worth doing?