This is the last straw

 Al's right.  So is Josh.
My (limited) knowledge of metalurgy tells me steel does not become "porous"
through use, or even abuse.  Generally, porosity is introduced during the
casting process, far less often in forgings.  Are these crankshafts cast or
forged?
If there is porosity in the crank (and we are assuming that that original
diagnosis is correct), it's been there from day one.
A good lawyer could present a strong argument that it is a defective part,
that it was defective the day the car was sold and the defect just didn't
make itself known for many miles/years.
VW could come back with the fact it may not be the original crank, the
original owner, etc.  I'm afraid the chances for compensation are, while not
non-existant, very slim.  i.e. it won't hurt to try, but don't get yer hopes
up.

Larry   sandiego16V

> This may be true, but that whole porous crank thing doesnt sound kosher.
> Al

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!