Exhaust Question - 8V

Well, the E-brake cable broke this weekend (me and my
massive untapped strenght), so I decided to finally
put on the rear springs and the poly control arm
bushings that have been collecting dust for a while.

As I am crawling around I noticed a nice hole or 2 in
the muffler.

Not a huge deal, as I was planning on redoing the
exhaust this summer anyways, but it does bring a few
questions to mind.  I am thinking about doing a TT
cat-back (does cat-back mean from the cat back, or
including the cat back btw?), but I'm not sure what I
want.  Probably the 2.25 alum. Borla, (suggestions?)
but here is my real question.

Is it necessary to do the manifold and downpipe to see
any real gains?  I've got the K&N, and will be getting
an Audi 5k TB (probably on Friday), and I want to make
sure I can push out what it can pull in.  How much
airflow is lost if I don't get a 4X2 manifold and
bigger downpipe to match the exhaust?  Is it even
worth doing the long pipes if I can't make everything
match?

So - that's what I'm sitting here pondering... well,
pondering exhausts and contemplating my navel.

=====
Mark
84 Rocco
87 Westfalia