problem fixed, sort of

Howdy.
Finally, after many moons of putzing around with the fuel injection
on my 78 scirocco, I finally am able to drive it again.
Only a few problems left to sort out.
It is still a bear to crank. I usually have to put the pedal to the
floor and fire it up.
It fires and cranks for three or four times before catching well and
then runs rough for a few seconds, some times as long as 30 seconds
before it smooths out.
Then it revs fine.
Suggestions.
The second problem just reared its ugly head yesterday and has me searching.
It began running rough and backfiring  a couple of blocks from work
and when I got there it wouldn't idle and ran ragged once I got it
cranked.
Logical assumption, which proved to be the case, was a dead sparkplug wire.
Problem is these are brand new and the number one plug wire was shot
and when I grabbed it, while the engine was running, it bit the fool
out of me.
A new spark plug wire and it's running normal again.
Ten miles from home, with the new wire, and it begins running ragged
again andthe new number one wire is fried and arcing off when I grab
it.
Once again I ask for suggestions on where to look.
I appreciate this list being other than an 85 vanagon, which is
basically an aircooled four with water shoved in it, this has been my
first attempt at the water-cooled variety.
It's a fun car to drive, although I will admit, it doesn't quite have
the style of my 73 ghia convertible or the sleeping capacity of my
two westys, but such is life.
Onward thru the fog
David Conner
terrapin@halifax.com
--
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
-- Albert Einstein