Bentley tells me I'm screwed if I disconnect A/C lines???

You need to replace the receiver/dryer (probably about $40) since moisture entered the system when you opened it.  If you don't, there is a chance that the dessicant in the dryer will swell enough to burst whatever holds it in.  This will let dessicant circulate through the A/C system, which will cause large repair bills.

After replacing the dryer you need to pull a vacuum and then charge the system.  Don't replace the dryer until you are ready to close up the system and pull the vacuum. (leaving the system open with a new dryer in it ruins the new dryer)

The warning is in the Bentley because removing the A/C lines and venting the freon will lead to a $300-500 bill if you have an A/C shop put it back together and charge it!  (R12 is somewhere around $100 a pound now!)

Bill