OT: C & D and other magazines

UrGTI@aol.com wrote:

> I belive Consumer Reports goes to the dealer incongneto and buys their cars
> off the lot in order to get a "regular" version of the car.

That's exactly what they do, and of course they don't accept any advertising
either.

I used crack up a few years back, when VWs were routinely trashed in CR,
and every once in a while somebody would whine in the r.a.m.v.w. newsgroup
that CR was "biased against" VW.  Puh-lease!  VW made shitty cars then,
and CR is a consumer magazine, NOT an enthusiast magazine.  They rate cars
based on hard repair data, then throw in their own (sometimes quirky)
opinions based on CONSUMER-type stuff - cupholder size, crap like that.
Stuff that a consumer rag SHOULD do.  Take it at face value - just like
taking the C&D stuff at face value when the mfr's provide cars, advertise
in their mags, schmooze the writers, etc.

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA