Mileage at Speed was: Anyone do a .80 5th gear in a 4k tranny?

Daun Yeagley wrote:

> --- Joe Doty <rocco2nr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I get killer gas mileage on the freeway too.
>
> That reminds me, I've been getting pretty good mileage on
> the freeway myself with the .80.  Averages 33-34 mpg, had
> one tank average 39 (that's with a stint to 100 mph too!)
>
> =====

If the revs are in the middle, oh say 3k, the motor is (usually) running
efficiently. In fact as much as I want the lower gearing in 5th it
doesn't make too much sense if the motor doesn't have enough HP to run
there.

If we could get one of those W-12 motors (I guess in the Back ;] ) then
it could idle just over 2k and run the light little car down the
freeway, no problem.

So, a .80 might be OK, remember- these tractor motors we call the Inline
4 can run up and down the Autobahn all day at speed if you take car of
them.

TBerk