OT: C & D and other magazines

--- 16V Jason <jason@scirocco.org> wrote:
> Guys,
> 	Below is from a friend of mine who knows about
> these things:  :)
> Jason
>

> Jason,
>
> The cars tested in magazines come from independent
> companies, but the
> manufacturers provide cars to those companies. They
> just have those
> companies (most go through A&M) maintain the cars
> and handle the loans to
> avoid the hassle, not to ensure that the cars are
> actually stock. That
> said, I haven't heard of nonstandard cars in quite
> some time, although I am
> also not sure anyone would ever know. I am sure the
> car companies, at the
> very least, give the cars a thorough going-over
> before sending them into
> the press fleet.
>
> Mike
>
> At 12:20 PM 2/1/2002 -0500, 16V Jason wrote:
>  >At 04:38 PM 1/31/2002, UrGTI@aol.com wrote:
>  >>I was looking though a buddies library of car
> mags and I think it was R&T
>  >>where they are testing a 16v rocco and you can
> clearly spot the 50mm intake
>  >>in the pics of the engine bay. I cant remember it
> it had A/C  or not but my
>  >>memory  is leaning towards not.
>  >
>  >Oh yeah -- all of the magazines do.  Now, mind
> you, most of them used
> stock VW photos -- but if you look closely at the
> R&T photo (which was not
> a VW pic), that baby's a 50mm intake.
>  >
>  >Now, is it any wonder noone can duplicate 0-60mph
> runs in 8s flat (or
> 7.7s as per R&T) with a stock 1.8?!  If they put the
> 50mm intake on, it
> wouldn't surprise me that they also did other
> internal engine mods -- for
> all we know, it could be a 2.0 with a Euro cam and
> Euro FI.
>  >
>  >It's my understanding now that the car magazines
> get their test cars from
> an independent company -- not the manufacturer
> directly.  (Ever notice how
> all the magazines have the identical car in the same
> issue??)  So
> thankfully, that problem has been solved...
>  >
>  >Jason
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >----------
>  >1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v   [7.4s 0-60; was 8.7s with
> the 1.8]
>  >1988 Mercedes 190E Sport 2.0  [9.5s 0-60, but it's
> Euro-spec so no torque!]
>  >1994 Golf III GL 2.0  [11.7s 0-60 -- WOOHOO!!!]
>  >
>  >http://www.scirocco16v.org

This may have been addressed, but there is a legend
that VW shipped some 16V Sciroccos here with the 50mm
intakes by error.

I have no idea if there's any truth to it . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)