Congress wants ourcars!!!!

You may be thinking of the gross polluter buyout, if your car fails its
smog test really badly and can make it to the wrecking yard under its own
power then the state will pay you up to $1000 (I think) to junk it. I was
tempted to sabotage my rustbucket Rabbit to make sure it would fail & then
sell it to the state... :D