Cam Question!!

The only thing you can measure with a caliper is base circle diameter
and height of the cam lobe. So, you will know base circle diameter
(ta-dah!) and can calculate lift. There is no way to even
semi-accurately measure duration using a caliper.
There is a tool called the "cam doctor" that can create a plot of lift
vs. angle. That is the only way to accurately measure a cam. Techtonics
has one of these.
OTOH, a quick look at the lobe profile will give an indication. If the
lobe is a sharp pointed V off the base circle it's pretty short
duration. A lobe with a flatter tip and broader shoulders has more
duration. So, you kind of have to visually compare the two cams, but
it's only an indication that a cam has more or less duration, not an
indication how much difference in duration.
Dan