Radiator fan install & wiring help...

I recently got a Flex-a-Lite to adapt to my 16V and have a few questions... The plug for the stock fan has 3 wires - red w/black, red w/white, and brown.  The Flex-a-Lite only has 2 (per fan) wires, power and ground.  So which wire do I use to power the Flex-a-Lite, red w/black or red w/white?  What is the other wire for?
Also, the Flex-a-Lite is a bit small for the radiator but will fit with a little rigging... do you think it will be ok if I offset the fan all the way to one side and then have about 6 inches of radiator overhang on the other side?  Or should I rig it into the middle (more difficult) so that there's 3 inches of overhand on each side like the stock fan shroud?