A1 called Mk1 in the Rest of the WORLD? was: Wambach/Convertiblere-inforcements

--0-1707640044-1041274045=:93229

--- "Scott F. Williams"  wrote:> >Quote:  "North America uses the A1 designation, while the rest of> the> >world uses Mk1..."> > Whose quote is that? The factory uses the alphanumeric chassis> designations> for sure. It is the English that brought us the "Mark" vocabulary to> distinguish between generations of vehicles. WWII millitary aircraft> were> described this way. I dunno about other types of vehicles...Tberk: not my site, I claim innocence!!!  Scotty: despite your low credibility for using GTi (vs. the correct for NA GTI - note the capitalization) you are right on this one.  Those silly limeys are screwing up our language.  In the US it's A1 up through '84 for Rabbits, '88 for 'rocs, and '93 for Cabbies.  After that, it's A2.  Someday this will die, when we learn how to train by osmosis.  Julie:  you have a MkI (early) roc and a Mk2 (late) one.  And for the uninitiated Americans & Canadians, it's not "'emm-kay' 1" it's "Mark 1".  'Roc content:  finishing up Tobias's tranny (rebuild and Quaife install), then on to some head work, study (Carroll Smith and Smokey Yunick), header bench-fit and custom under-car cat maybe??  (free!  got a friend in the OEM exhaust business!).Later all...

Cheapass Ron
'87 Scirocco 16'Victor'