help - parking brake problems

--0-1826938982-1041188895=:59875

here's the story:
     for 2 nights in a row i went to my friend's house and parked in the road (using the hand brake) for a few hours.
     both nights when i left, the driver's side rear caliper would not release.  i tried going forward and backwards but it didnt let go.
     i drove about 3 miles to my other friend's house and parked again (leaving the car in gear instead of using the e-brake).  the left rear rotor was glowing bright orange when i got out.  after a few hours without the e-brake engaged, the caliper was released and i went home.
     i took it to the mechanic yesterday and he could not get the brake to stick shut for anything.  no problems whatsoever.
     the only difference between what he did and what i did is that it was much colder when the problem happened.  any ideas?  could there be water freezing in my brake line?  has this happened to anyone else before?

tia,
-tony

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco