leaking heater core

>  > I've also noticed that the heat tends to be on kind of all the time.  The
>>  center vent is always much warmer than the side vents, no matter where the
>>  heat is at.
>
>I was wondering about this myself, as my '86 16V is exactly the same...the
>two center vents *never* deliver anything but hot air, and the windshield
>vent acts the same way too. Is this common to all the cars, or is there a
>problem?
>
>- Matthew

Yes,  it is common, but it can most likely be cured.  The problem is
likely that
the heater valve is not closing all the way, which is caused by an
out of adjustment
heater valve control wire.  The wire is moved by the hot<->cold
slider in the HVAC
control unit.  Anyway, check which direction is 'cold' at the valve
by moving the
slider and checking which way the little arm at the valve goes.
After figuring this
out, push it the rest of the way by hand, and it's likely to go just
a tiny bit further.
This will finally shut off the flow of hot coolent to your heater
core and you'll
stop getting heat out of the center vents.  My car suffers from the
same problem. :(

==Brett

--
  \/  `87 Scirocco 2.0t project | "Hot VW's, take two home. They're small"
\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v,  '84 Scirocco ITB racer project | - brett@netacc.net