Air Compressor - what to buy?

> <snip>
> Adrian's nice shop prompts this poll question:
> What device is most useful in the home shop/garage?
> (and state your reasoning)
>
> welder (any type)
> hydraulic press
> air compressor
> ?  (feel free to add your own favorite, but please avoid the basic/obvious
candidates like "socket set" or "drill motor")
> </snip>

I have the welders, torches, press, compressor with all the accessory tools,
and Dan's favorite jet plane LP heater. But nothing would happen in my
garage without a jack so that's what I find most useful.

The jack I'm currently using is 30 years old. Just after being married I got
my first credit card. It was a standard Sears revolving account. The first
item I put on that card was this very nice $300.00 jack. Damned if Sears
didn't just up and forget to bill me for it! Best damned tool purchase I've
ever made. Recently I spent $75.00 to have that jack rebuilt and I'd do it
again if it needed it.

Rick Alexander