  From: Rabbit16v=20
  To: Scirocco List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 11:10 PM
  Subject: Re: chassis re-enforcement v.101

  > Dave, how on Earth can any stress bar reduce "sway"?

  Read on.

  > What exactly do you mean by that word, anyway. :^) Are you referring =
  the elimination of roll?

  Roll, to me if I have it right, is what the tires would cause if you =
had
  stock tires on a car with highly modified suspension.  They would =
create a
  roll by the sidewalls flexing.  I realize that swaybars, suspension, =
and low
  pro tires are all things that take care of roll, or sway also.  I =
consider
  the feeling that you get when your upper strut towers (and no, I'm not
  talking about the strut assys/springs themselves but what they mount =
into in
  the body) give a little when you go into a corner hard (close to =
loosing
  traction is what I call hard) sway as I don't know another word for =
it.
  Now, since I have been an auto tech for quite some years (granted, not =
all
  working on our wonderful VWs) I have become very sensitive to goings =
on in
  the suspension so what I feel others may not but when I installed the =
upper
  strut brace, the car handled better in hard cornering.

  > The upper strut brace (stress bar, etc.) simply keeps the strut =
towers
  from
  > moving apart from each other.

  and from moving closer to each other.  Taking a right hand turn the =
top of
  your left strut tower should have a tendancy to move inward, if the =
car's
  suspension is modified and the car is low, because there is force =
being
  applied at an upward angle.  I would think that if the top of any =
strut
  tower moves in a corner you would notice it.  A strut brace would =
eliminate
  this because strut tower would have the other strut tower to =
strengthen it
  some.

  > However, the tendency to roll in corners is not reduced a bit.

  I disagree here because if your strut tower moves at all and a strut =
brace
  helps it not move then a strut brace would help.  I don't have a =
zillion
  years of racing experience or an engineering degree but I do have =
common
  sense and this is what I am going off of.  I've been proven wrong once =
(in a
  while) so if I'm wrong then LMK.  But I was absolutely sure there was =
  difference after installing a strut brace.

  Dave

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01C2ACA8.E21279A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the strut towers are weak, how does =
bracing one=20
against the other accomplish much?&nbsp; Seems like all that would do is =
force=20
the two towers to simply move in unison rather than =
independently?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larry</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:Rabbit16v@attbi.com"; =
title=3DRabbit16v@attbi.com>Rabbit16v</A>=20
  </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"; =
title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>Scirocco=20
  List</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, December 25, =
2002 11:10=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: chassis =
re-enforcement=20
  v.101</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><BR><BR>&gt; Dave, how on Earth can any stress bar =
reduce=20
  "sway"?<BR><BR>Read on.<BR><BR>&gt; What exactly do you mean by that =
word,=20
  anyway. :^) Are you referring to<BR>the elimination of =
roll?<BR><BR>Roll, to=20
  me if I have it right, is what the tires would cause if you =
had<BR>stock tires=20
  on a car with highly modified suspension.&nbsp; They would create =
a<BR>roll by=20
  the sidewalls flexing.&nbsp; I realize that swaybars, suspension, and=20
  low<BR>pro tires are all things that take care of roll, or sway =
also.&nbsp; I=20
  consider<BR>the feeling that you get when your upper strut towers (and =
no, I'm=20
  not<BR>talking about the strut assys/springs themselves but what they =
mount=20
  into in<BR>the body) give a little when you go into a corner hard =
(close to=20
  loosing<BR>traction is what I call hard) sway as I don't know another =
word for=20
  it.<BR>Now, since I have been an auto tech for quite some years =
(granted, not=20
  all<BR>working on our wonderful VWs) I have become very sensitive to =
goings on=20
  in<BR>the suspension so what I feel others may not but when I =
installed the=20
  upper<BR>strut brace, the car handled better in hard =
cornering.<BR><BR>&gt;=20
  The upper strut brace (stress bar, etc.) simply keeps the strut=20
  towers<BR>from<BR>&gt; moving apart from each other.<BR><BR>and from =
moving=20
  closer to each other.&nbsp; Taking a right hand turn the top =
of<BR>your left=20
  strut tower should have a tendancy to move inward, if the =
car's<BR>suspension=20
  is modified and the car is low, because there is force =
being<BR>applied at an=20
  upward angle.&nbsp; I would think that if the top of any =
strut<BR>tower moves=20
  in a corner you would notice it.&nbsp; A strut brace would =
eliminate<BR>this=20
  because strut tower would have the other strut tower to strengthen=20
  it<BR>some.<BR><BR>&gt; However, the tendency to roll in corners is =
not=20
  reduced a bit.<BR><BR>I disagree here because if your strut tower =
moves at all=20
  and a strut brace<BR>helps it not move then a strut brace would =
help.&nbsp; I=20
  don't have a zillion<BR>years of racing experience or an engineering =
degree=20
  but I do have common<BR>sense and this is what I am going off =
of.&nbsp; I've=20
  been proven wrong once (in a<BR>while) so if I'm wrong then LMK.&nbsp; =
But I=20
  was absolutely sure there was a<BR>difference after installing a strut =

  =
brace.<BR><BR>Dave<BR><BR><BR>___________________________________________=
____<BR>Scirocco-l=20
  mailing list<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A><BR><A=
=20
  =
href=3D"http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l";>http://neubayer=
n.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01C2ACA8.E21279A0--

Introducing NetZero Long Distance
1st month Free!