chassis re-enforcement v.101

et al in this discussion
the front of our cars are a box.

warning ascii art use a fixed font like courier

______________
|            |\
|            | |
|            | |
|            | |
|            | |
|____________|/

pretty much that is the structure you start with
now add the tires

______________
|    ooo     |\
|            | |
|            | |
|            | |
|            | |
|____ooo_____|/

and remember that without the lower K bar this hole thing flexes quite a
bit. if your in doubt get a 2 cardboard boxes with the same kind of
ratios the A1's have.

Tape the larger box shut. (passenger compartment w/ the door shut)
but on the front box cut the top and bottom off.

^

|---->x
up(z-axis)
____________________
|          X|       |
|          X|       |
|          X|       |
|          X|       |
--------------------

This is pretty much the basics of any car. except convertables.and rear
engine cars BUT were worried about A1 VW's.
now think about applying tortional strain around the X axis.  (is this the
right verbage ME's?)

so now make a channel that attaches the lower portion of the front box
together. along the bottom.(the H's)

____________________
|          X|   H   |
|          X|   H   |
|          X|   H   |
|          X|   H   |
--------------------

But now remember that its not that easy. cause in our cars. the front box
is actually smaller on the bottom than on the top and SHORTER too.

Blowup view of what it really is without the K bar.

TOP
__________________________
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
|          X|------|     |
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
|          X|------|     |
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
--------------------------

A more accurate Tope view
_____________
|           |
|           |\____________
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
|          X|------|     |
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
|          X|------|     |
|          X|            |
|          X|            |
|           | ------------
|           |/
|           |
-------------

Side ( without the frame rails)
____________________
|                   |
|                   |
|                 __|
|                |  |
|\               |  |
| \              |__| <-- front Core support the top portion of it is
|  \_____                 for decoration not Structural integrety
|________]

   ^^^^^^ frame horns

entire side simplified
|----------------------|
|                      |
|                      |__________
|                      |         |
|                      |_________|
|                      |
-----------------------

Front ( i know its now 100% symmetric but thats ASCII art for you...
_______________
|             |
 \  |     |  /
OOO\OOOOOOO/OO  <--- front core support cross member
    o     o
    ^^^^^^^ <---frame horns

So now the question becomes. does the front end twist about the
X -axis and why. basically because its a thin walled structure that is
designed to flex. that saves weight. Its a trade off. the other problem is
that the box is easily flexed in the Y-axis direction. ie. up and down in
the plane of the screen. because the rigidity isnt there. So what does
adding the upper strut brace do in the ENGINE bay. it adds a top to your
front box. the lower brace was added so that you at least had a bottom to
your fron box.. sort of. I am intimately familiar with this structure as i
have remove and replaced 4 motor in the last 2 years. and with out any of
the motor or suspension the front end is really flexible.

so the upper stut bar provies a top to the front box helping to kill the
x-axis rotation and the y-axis wobblyness (not a real work).
So if your trying to kill body roll from flex aka sway..

so the upper strut bar keeps the front box from becoming deformed

with the bar
_______
|     |
|     |
-------

without the bar (exaggerated)

  /    /
 /    /
 -----

Brian
EE not an ME.. anybody wanna poke holes in it go for it

82 2.0L topless bunny ( engine #3 in 2 years)
88 16v aka skateboard
84 0v. makes looking at it easy.
90 90q20v

tape em together where the X is.