A2 trans into A1 body q'

  Ok, I have a 9A from an '88 Golf to install into my '77 rocco, swapping the
100mm flanges with a set of 90mm's and new seals (Thanks to Adirondack).
Another  difference I found was the flanges stick about 3/4" out from the
diff than the GC 4spd or the FN that's in my car now.
  Question is, were the axles for A2 cars made shorter for the difference
that the flanges set out from the case or will the A1 axles fit up without
any problem?
  Or am I overthhinking this and it's all easier than I'm making it?

Carl
77rocco
89fox  - donor to be
03saturn - can not modify under penalty of wife!
00hyundai - rental, further heap the indignities