Is this possible as my problem?

My 16V, which likes to run in limp-mode most of the time, took a real shit the other night... It lost power while I was driving it like usual (feels like when you switch on the AC, only much more abrupt).  SO I downshifted and gave it throttle... NOTHING, not even a noise. (Lights were still on as if engine was NOT stalled.)  Downshifted again, and it just stalled as I rolled to a stop.
So, could it be a fuel related problem - like something clogging a line somewhere, then floating away (when power comes back, or when I shut the car off).  There is no stuttering to my car, the timing just gets pulled.  Would a fuel clog cause my timing to be pulled - I thought it would just make the car stutter???