Seat belt problem

I just got an 87 8v for my g/f, and the passenger seat belt was removed.
When I reinstalled it, the spindle was locked, and it wouldn't unfurl.  We
swapped it with a known working one from her Jetta, and the same thing
happened.  What's the trick with these things??  Installation is just three
bolts, right?  Am I missing something?  The only thing Bentley has to say
about seatbelts is to wash them by hand with warm soapy water.  Not much
help, you might guess.

TIA,
Drew