From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of I am the Walrus
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 13:41
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Cracked frame. :(

Grr.  So, I was replacing strut inserts and wheel bearings this weekend to
cure shudder felt in the steering wheel when going over bumps.  Also found
a bent control arm on the drivers side, so I had to run down to the
junkyard and grab an arm off a Rabbit. While I was under there, I found a
crack in the drivers side control arm mount.  It is toward the back of the
horn, where it joins the body.  There is a doubler there, the crack
parallels the rear edge of the doubler.  So, I bought a Techtonics lower
strut brace a few months ago, but did not have the chance to put it on
before now.  Threw that on, cranked the horns together with a come-along,
(measured 27" between the center of the front control arm bolts,
she wouldn't go any further) torqued the control arm bolts, and drilled
and bolted the rear attach points for the brace.  Now I have to degrease
and powerwash the area and determine if it is weldable.  Anyone had
success with this repair, and maybe can suggest a good welder in the
Seattle area? (Chris DeLong, if you're still on the list,  is your shop
set up for stuff like this?) My baby is old, but I want to keep her
running!

I guess the moral is, if you don't have one already, get a lower brace
NOW!  They're cheap (I paid $65 at a local show) and take only a half hour
to install!

Dan

--
A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground.

         Now can you tell the difference?