Snow Schmoe. was Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!

I'm with Ron, snow sucks.  It just means more back-breaking work to me.  =
(Why do I live in Vermont?)
But Sciroccos, at least in my limited experience, seem to have pretty =
independent reactions to snow. =20
The first year I had my '86, I put new studded snowtires on it, thinking =
that would be good enough to get me back and forth to work.  It was only =
two or three miles, after all.  Well, I was wrong.  With even the =
slightest amount of snow on the road, that thing was ready to start =
sliding sideways out of control.  That year I adjusted my driving habits =
and times, and managed to get through the winter without crashing.
The next year, I added a beater '82 Scirocco to the growing stable of VWs. =
 My wife thought I was an idiot.  My position was that it didn't matter if =
it slid off the road -it was a beater.  And I'd have some spare parts for =
the '86 if it did meet with disaster.
Well, as usual, I was wrong again.  Even with the same tires and rims as I =
used on the '86 the year before, the '82 was like snow-cat.  I don't even =
feel the need to slow down in the snow -the '82 is as stable in the snow =
as any 4-wheel drive I've ever owned.  I find myself passing people =
driving SUVs (damn flat-landers!) who, judging from their snail-like pace =
and frantic braking, seem to feel like they're about to shoot off the road =
at any second.=20
Why are the two cars so different?  Beats me.  I think I've heard it said =
on this list before, though:  They were all different, right off the =
dealer's lot.  Apparently they still are, twenty years later.

-Mike Eldred
Wilmington, VT
'86 SummerRocco
'82 WinterRocco