OT Need some MkIII Headlight and other elec. help-URGENT!!

--=======2DC35C58=======

Ok here's the deal.  My sister has a '97 GTI with the 2.0 8V.  She is
experiencing some problems:
First and most important are her headlights.  The daytime running lights do
not work and(maybe as a
result) the headlights do not work now.  Her parking lights do work.  She
has high beams only if she
holds the high beam switch back, which is kind of hard to do while driving
not to mention pissing off
everyone coming towards you.  I thought first of the switch at the parking
brake but that checks out
ok.  She doesn't have a Bentley manual, yet, so I'm at a loss here.  Any of
you have experience with
this/ know a solution or a way to jumper something so she can have
headlights?
Now she is missing some other electrical things and says they all went out
at the same time-
Heater blower(all speeds), rear defrost, wipers(front and rear) inc washer,
foglights, and ABS light stays
on.  I've checked all fuses and they are fine.  I'm wondering if all these
things share a common controller
or relay.  Any thoughts?
Any help would be very helpful as it will be dark pretty soon.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'92 Polaris Indy Deluxe