Convertable Rocc?

Julie,
  You missed seeing the Purple Snowmobile at Cincy 2001.  It has maybe 2"
high by 1.5" rectangular channels just inside the doors to reinforce it.
You could also run a 1" or maybe 2" high reinforcement under the car, weld
supports across and/or in the center tunnel, etc. depending on what body kit
you used.  The Snow's used a custom made top for the car, and replaced the
hatch with a flat trunk.  It seems to me that you could use a Cabriolet's
windshield header, even if it had to be narrowed or widened a bit.  If a
cabriolet roof fit, that would be cool, but it would be way too long.  If
you did want a Cabriolet top, you would likely be far better off grafting a
scirocco nose onto a cabriolet, since that's all that would be left anyway.
Consider pulling a top from a Karmann Ghia, Alfa Spyder, MR2, Miata, Fiat,
GeoMetro or something else more Scirocco sized.
   Keep in mind that many lotus cars were built with a tube frame shaped
like an "I".  This "backbone" design used a rectangular (almost square)
center spar of four longitudinal tubes that were well cross-braced.  The
frame grew at the front and rear of the "I" to pick up the engine,
suspension, bumpers, etc.  They were front engine cars with independent rear
suspension (I think, maybe solid axle rear though).  The rest of the car was
just a fiberglass body. Something like that could be done within our center
tunnels, and would probably work quite well, especially since we have a
unibody to help it a little.  Surf for that a bit. I know there are
companies that make new frames for these Loti.
   As for the doors, the Snows had of course removed the window frames, and
their top fit the window all the way around.  There was no rear or quarter
window, and it didn't look like it needed one in particular.
   Their car had a Honda 2.0l VTEC engine in the front.  Just kidding.

BH