OT: Anyone in Costa Mesa, CA

i think you can win against him in small claims. by not giving you needed
documents to make a claim, it's the same thing as if he never shipped it.
especially because part of your agreement included paying for shipping and
insurance through him.  fedex is responsible, but since you paid him for the
service, and not fedex, he is also responsible for helping you get the
stuff. remembered this from a few law classes. here ya go:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-504.html
this is new york, but it's uniform commercial code and is pretty much the
same anywhere. hth,
-michael