fuel injector cleaners?

> Adam Sexton wrote:
>
> Hello, this is my first post to the list. I'm wondering what brands or
> injector cleaners you would recommend and how often I should use them.
> I have an '86 16v. Thanks.

Welcome, welcome.

There are two basic types of stuff to clean the things out; light
spirits and detergents. (Correct me if I'm wrong folks).

Naphtha and associated stuff (like alcohol) act as solvents but if used
too concentrated can melt stuff you didn't want. They also change the
lubricating properties of the oil, if at least a little.

Detergents cut the film strength of gum and varnish and with the
mechanical action and the heat of the motor help to slough off buildup.

Most name brand gas companies put a little bit in the regular gas, some
even sell the concentrate, hence Chevron Techrolene. THere are different
strengths of the Chevron stuff, read the bottle carefully.

Other fluids I have used with success include B-12 Chemtool (strong
stuff, beware) and Marvel Mystery Oil, although I tend to use it in 'new
to me' crank cases oil rather than the gas as a one shot lets get the
seals leaking type caloric.

In any case what the other guy (Who was that?) said about oil changes is
a great tip- these things thin the oil a bit, also dump particles in
there so you'll want to do a purge just before an oil change.

hth,
TBerk