87 16-valve problems

>From: "William M. Davidson" <grateful@plato.nmia.com>

...a cracked dash that looks horrible
>but that can be covered.

or better yet replaced. i have a good one FS, and though they're a little
tough to find in the SW, it's not impossible...

>Front end has just been completely redone.

redone like struts replaced, or redone from a wreck? i'd stay away from one
that's been in a wreck. definitely run a carfax.

>No radio or AC.

many people remove the a/c, but it should lower the value of the car.
especially in NM.

>The only major problem is that the engine hunts to find the 1k idle RPM
>when
>coming to a stop.

probably not a big deal. a lot of these do this normally (though it
shouldn't be more than like 100 rpm in either direction). probably a tune up
and cleaning/replacing the idle stabilizer valve will solve this.

Also, after it warms up to what I assume is the normal
>operating temperature, it randomly misses.  Sometimes at idle, sometimes
>when accelerating.  It does it both with soft and hard acceleration.
>I am guessing it may be the ignition.  Just a hunch.  Of course it may be
>in the fuel system (dirty injectors?) or many other places.

could be anything. missing on soft accel also makes me think ignition, but
who knows.  could be plugs/wires/rotor/coil/o2 sensor/fuel
pump/injectors/fuel filter etc.

>By the way, they are asking $2400.  That seems high even with the engine
>running perfectly.  >--

high for what you're describing, if the car's stock. $1500 seems about
right, but if the car has the problems you're describing, i guarantee it has
10x as many that you don't know about yet. i'd get someone who knows these
cars to check it out for you. g/l!
-michael