H&R G Springs

At 06:47 PM 8/17/2002, Scott F. Williams wrote:

>Hey, guess what? You are correct that the 3" estimate was off by a little
>bit. I just took a Bilstein HD front insert and measured the extended and
>compressed lengths. I got 21.5" and 17.625" respectively. Do the subtraction
>and you'll find that the suspension travel comes to 3.875". Whoops, I was
>off by an almost an inch. Still with a 3" drop you'd be left with just
>around 1/2" compression travel. That ain't enough to escape the extreme

Wait Scott -- not exactly.  According to your calculation, the shocks would
be at full extension at rest.  That's certainly not the case.  So what you
meant to say was that from "Airborne" to "Slammed" is 3.875".  That means
total travel from normal ride height is probably closer to half of
that.  Read: Less than TWO inches of Jounce.

Now -- I have H&R Sport Springs (Progressive) that lowered the front of the
car approximately 0.75".  The A-Arms are horizontal -- i.e. parallel to the
ground.  I have about 0.75" of suspension travel left from static ride
height until bump-stop.  That's with the bump stop cut down to half of its
original size.  I was about 0.25" from the bump stop before I cut it.

So with 0.75" of travel now, plus 0.75" of drop, we were looking at
something like 1.5" jounce suspension travel STOCK.  Let's say 2.0" to be
on the nice side.  Therefore, anything more than a 2" drop is physically
impossible without coilovers.

Vince, you do what you want -- but Scott's right.... Don't expect anything
more than a 1.5" drop to be driveable.  In fact, I wouldn't lower my
Scirocco a whole inch - you're sacrificing handling, ride, and safety for
no benefit other than having a low car.  But again -- do what you want,
just don't expect many people to want to ride in your car.  And I wouldn't
take it over 50km/h -- that thing will be suicide on wheels the first time
you need to panic brake or make an emergency lane change...

Jason