Looking for Ideas/Rant about New Jersey Turnpike/Car Got Dem

I agree the popping out of gear is most likely lack of fluid.

     The electrical gremlins are more difficult, but it sounds like a short,
possibly under the dash.  It's possible just one short could cause all your
symptoms, but I would lean towards the insulation melting in one of the bundles
that run under the dash or near the firewall in the engine compartment.  This
sounds a lot like a bunch of things shorting together intermittently.  It might
also be in your ignition switch.  I have to check the wiring diagrams before I
offer any further opinion on this.
     Good Luck.

Cheers,
Colin