Clutches, let's try again

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Cathy Boyko
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 10:57 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Clutches, let's try again

I posted a while ago about needing a clutch. And only 1 person replied.
So no opinions on the subject?

Here's a recap. This will be the third in two years. It was a stock
210mm
Sachs, and the car is a mildly modified 2L 16V with an AGB/3.94/Quaife,
which gets abused at the drag strip regularily, and also does lots of
normal street driving.

So here are the questions :
1. Is there an advantage to anything other than a third stock clutch for
this
application? If so, what. I see Sachs has a sport setup, and there are a
number of harsher options. Opinions? ( I just can't believe there are no
opinions...)

2. Is this possibly a result of some other related component that needs
attention? Last dead clutch was dry (not oil fouled)

3. As for the light flywheels, a good or bad thing for the strip? I'd
think a
bit of flywheel momentum may be good (less chance to stall), but then so
is
reduced mass....

Just fishing, it sucks (is expensive) to be doing this so often, like
every
10,000 kms or less. Surely someone has tried something different, even
if it
didn't work, LMK that too.

Thanks!
Cathy, slipping at 4 grand

I've been trying to buy the triple strapped 16V pressure plate with
Kevlar clutch from Vince for over a month now, but that seems to be the
hot setup.

They take a new Sachs 16V pressure plate, drill off the rivets, remove
the single strap, and bolt on 3 straps with very strong hardware.

The current 16V Sachs clutch kit has single straps, even the one for the
2L.
I had 2 out of 3 drive straps break, and they started to machine the
inside of the bellhousing, because I have a lightened flywheel. If I had
a stock flywheel, the weight band would've prevented the strap halves
from coming in contact with the inside of the bellhousing.

Does anyone know of another supplier of the triple strapped pressure
plate and the Kevlar clutch?

Btw, it's not leaking oil onto the friction material is it? I think
that's the culprit of my slippage...

Peter - 4 XXX limit