Connecting rod help

--- Bill Collins <photo@intrex.net> wrote:
> I'm still trying to find a connecting rod (or set of 4) for my '86
> 8v.  My local VW parts supplier can't get them, Potterman didn't
> answer my email and, so far, on one here seems to have one lying
> around.
>
> Here's the problem:  One of the rod bearings spun and appears to have
> damaged the rod (its hammered to a bit of an oval shape).  I suspect
> a machine shop can't fix this kind of damage, but I will take it in
> and find out.
>
> So, any ideas?  Again, anyone have a used connecting rod?  Its for an
> '86 JH engine, but it EKTA says its the same rod used in any of the
> 1.8L engines.
>
> Bill

Bill, you should be able to get the rod reconditioned.  We do it at
work all the time.  The cap and rod halves (where they meet) get ground
down a bit so the circle is now an oval.  After assembling it again,
it's honed back to a circular shape.  Shouldn't cost much to do just
one rod either...

But, if there's damage to the rod, there's a good chance there is also
damage to the crank journal.

HTH,

Mark.

Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca