(Mk1) Clutch replacement q's

"bronson@inwave.com" wrote:

> Hey all.
> Time has come for me to replace the clutch in my '81 this weekend (slipping something awful).  I have a Sachs clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disk, etc), but what else should I do while I'm in there?  Anything REALLY important?  I'm on a very tight budget....
> I have access to a hoist, jacks, jackstands, help, etc, so I should be okay.  This is my first clutch (not counting swapping the one over in my '84 engine transplant), what else should I look out for?  If I recall correctly, Bentley says the motor has to be at #1 TDC for alignment purposes, I'd look but I'm at work right now.
> Any advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> TIA!
> Nate
> '81
> '84

- Only real early motors needed aligned flanges to get the trans out.

- You will need some way to keep the crank from rotating when you are
dealing w/ the pressure plate bolts. I have found a good stiff wire
(coat hanger even) tied through  the emptied flywheel alignment holes o
f the crank and then through one of the bolt holes of the block serve
well.

- Cleaning out the threads of these PP bolt holes prior to reassembly is
turning out to be important lest the bolts turn themselves out again.

- The instructions mention pulling the axles out to gain access, really
with some finagling you can tie the loosened inner CV joints up out of
the way and get the trans out.

- Cover the opened CVs and flanges with plastic bags to keep dirt out.

- Use some more of these same zip lock bags to gather your bolts and
pieces for later ease of reassembly.

- You need to support the motor during the time the trans motor mount is
loose, but also be prepared to lower the block a little (even though the
passenger's side mount is still attached) to get the trans loose and
away from the chassis.

Uh,,, loosing influence of the Muse... search Rocco Archives to
continue.

TBerk