more on 16v knock sensor diagnosis

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
  "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>[snip]
>John,
>
>Thanks for the tip on taking apart the connector - I
>never noticed that it
>came apart!
>
>Are you **SURE** it's pin 12? Pin 12 goes from the knock
>box to the
>ignition control module. Looking at the electrical
>diagram it seems
>much more likely that it's pin 10 (the wire that goes
>from the knock box
>connector to the fuel pump relay) that you would want to
>ground to test
>this. On my car, grounding pin 10 ran the fuel pumps.

Its been a year, I have small children...  It sounds like
pin 10 is the correct one to test the relay function.
 However, you should have continuity to ground on 12 with
the ignition on (verifies signal coming from the ICM).

Your coil test is interesting. The secondary winding on a
16v car should test between 4800-6800 ohms.  Did it test
that high?   I would be surprised.  You can't buy a VW
coil that will.  You have to go aftermarket for a high
voltage coil.  (This is OT to the topic, though).

Have you ever checked the mixture at idle?  I've found
that an out of spec setting hurts the low end
significantly.

John