88 16v modding help

Well, Narco, here's my take on your question and it's probably not something
you want to hear:
:)
1) Holes in airbox make more noise than power since, on your 16V, it already
is part of a cold air induction system. About all you can do is keep a clean
filter in it.
2) Cheap A-Z intake?  Even if you could get it to work, see above.
3) I'm about as far away from you as I can be and still be in the USA, so
can't help on a New York
    paint shop.
4) Spark plugs, one, two, three, or four electrode-type, do not add
horsepower.  They may help you
    recover lost power if your current plugs are not 100%.  The list seems
to like NGK's or the Bosch 3-
    wire plug.

 I think most listers will agree with this:  any meaningful performance
increase will cost significant money and/or time and/or trouble.

"You get what you pay for" and " There is no such thing as a free lunch"
come to mind.....

Now for the good news: the most efficient use of your $$ and time may well
be spent in performing a thorough tune-up that will return your '88 to
factory tune-up specs.  You may find a satisfying increase in running
crispness after you do this.  At least it will give you a good base-line to
start from and something to compare any future performance modifications to.
Anything beyond this will take a budget of some sort and realistic
expectations.
 You will have fun.  You will experience frustrations.  You should have some
great successes.  Use the list as part of your researce, but please don't
rely ONLY on the list!  Use the web, use local mechanics/part people, use
supplier's experience, READ BOOKS, and learn about your Scirocco. Over time
you can become the 'answer man' instead of the 'question man'.
(The preceeding was the opinion...and I AM opinionated... of the author
only, and not of the list in general....)

Larry  sandiego16v

> I have a stock '88 16v and I'm looking for a list of cheap things I can do
to it to up the power somewhat and basically just make it a little
different. I know cat-back exhaust is like first on the list of things to
do, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of which kit to get.
I'm looking for decent sound (preferably low, beefy like, rather than import
fartcan sound) and a good price-performance ratio. Other things I was
wondering about: 1. swiss cheese airbox, I've heard it just makes an
annoying whoosh sound and I've heard it actually does something, so which is
it? 2. those cheap induction kits from autozone, has anyone tried to put
this on? They cost like $50 at the most, look decent and probably improve
airflow, but I can't think of a way to actually connect it to the intake
hose... 3. Is there anyone in NY who can paint a car? I would but there's no
where around me to rent the equipment needed. I can do sanding and prep
work, but would need help with masking/stripping the car. I'm looking for
someone preferably in the Albany or Poughkeepsie area, but will travel
somewhat. 4. Last thing, the Bosch 4+ spark plugs, do they make any
noticible difference in anything with a stock car? If you have any llittle
tips or hints or suggestions, feel free to pass them along.

> Thanks for the help in advance,
> Dan
>
> P.S.- Please send replies to my personal email as well as the list.
> I”---I”-®¢?’¹zzjjS±”

Introducing NetZero Long Distance