electrical/wiring help needed

I had the exact same thing happen. I was foolishly driving around wit=
h no
dash in my car, and I thought I taped up all the live wires, but I gu=
ess I
missed that little gray and blue one. It's an illumination wire, it s=
upplies
power to all the lights, and the lights in the factory head unit.  I'=
pretty sure it's mostly unfused. I say mostly because I think it goes=
 to the
dimmer switch. My memory may be failing me but I think that's right. =
 So
don't be afraid, just go in there and replace it, just make sure you =
run it
exactly like it was from the factory.  Also be sure to check out the =
other
wires that were taped to it, some insulation might have melted off an=
exposed some wire. If so you can replace them if they're bad, or patc=
h them
with electrical tape.  Despite rumors, VWs actually have decent wirin=
compared to most cars. Scirocco's seem to be especially painless, exc=
ept for
that little gray wire! Oh yeah, one more thing.  It may have melted y=
our
dimmer switch too. Mine did. Don't try to fix it, it won't work.  You=
r best
bet here is to get a brand new headlight switch. Brand new stuff is c=
ool
anyway.

Vince