web site ideas? support? Mirror?

I understand, I really do, what you are attempting to do is "get help for
the .org site", and rest assured I am honored by the request of me, working
it, but the fact is , I have enough work with my web site and TST web site
plus another one I host for wife and lastly one private horse farm on my
server.

I really don't have the extra time to manage yet another "section" of web
site, I would love to help but I cannot take honestly this job.

My Tech notes never change Directory structure.. I would be shooting myself
in the foot if I did, I change looks and other sections , but the tech
section has been structure the same way for 2 years now. Yeah I realize the
index page might be disorganized, I just have not had enough free time to
make a cute interface with a pull down menu...

The idea behind my tech notes is to close the technical gap I have seen for
years in groups such has scirocco.org, the missing link of a geek with a
mechanics book, trying to figure out what the hell the book is saying. Yeah
changing pads and rotors is "mundane" but the week I put that tech note up I
got 12 email thanking me for it.. (grin) Yeah I do it for the attention, no
seriously I do it because of my brother (long story).

But I am always improving my details or pictures and information, soon I
will have a 2L 3a/JH Hybrid tech note from the start to the end... 300+
pictures expected with numerous subsets for the various components that need
to look at while doing such a conversion (from removing engine, through
rebuilding block to reinstalling it all together.  Creating tech notes is
very time consuming, just taking pictures and notes of pictures while trying
to repair/fix/mod my own cars, not to mention creating the web context for
it afterwards, and unfortunately time is not something I have much off. (I
still have technote pending from 2 months ago..)

There will be a mirror site of my tech notes, translated in German, the
Munich Scirocco Group, requested a complete download of all tech notes last
month, and they will be translating them into German and posting (with link
to my web site in "links section") it on their Club Web page by end of year.
(that is a lot of work), and the arrangement I had with them is, its your
web site, you deal with it, I provide data, I don't manage it.

I'll admit I' m kind of a Frenchman jerk off, everyone and their dog know
about my web site, I constantly publish a relevant tech note when a question
in email is requested, and  my site has been up for years now.

I really don't want to manage "mirrors" (I gave in to the Germans because it
was flattering to see all my tech notes being used in Germany for helping
support another group with the data (not to mention that the web master and
club member was persistent about this for 3 months before I gave in), and
managing does includes "transferring updates", and since I don't like
external users on my box on ftp, I am not keen on "pulling data".  so...

The solution of a simple " changing front pads and rotors " (for example)
selector bar, calling the tech note from my web site to your page (I can
even change my schemes to make it transparent to users) is the simple
solution here, low maintenance for you, all I need for me is when I put a
new technote p, is to email you with the link, and if my web site is down
when the page is requested, it will simply display a 404 Error message. If
you want the data, I can send it to you, be forewarned the tech note section
is over 50 MB large at this point.

Beside if all my tech notes are on scirocco.org then why would I run a web
server for? why don't I take over scirocco.org? (grin) [commentator - I
can't believe he opened that can of worms!!! OMG!]

lets keep talking about this here, perhaps talking about possibilities here
might convince others that might have the time to help to do so.

I would love to, but I just can't manage it, sorry.

   /  |/_ __/ ___/ Patrick Bureau
  //| | / / \__ \  1985 8v Prowler Orange "Beatrice"
 / _  |/ / ___/ /  1985 8v Titian Red "Lucky"
/_/ |_/_/ /____/   http://www.longcoeur.com/scirocco