[16v] low end torque (or the lack thereof)

    i hate to say this, but check your dry compression. also, dont drive on any kind of road trip
until you do. i lost my first rocco on a road trip because i didnt realize the rings were on their
way out. the effect i experienced was very poor response/torque at idle speeds, yet decent power
above 2-3k. what i didnt know was that i was getting blow-by. it would take like 3 seconds to go
from idle to >2k in neutral with my foot on the floor. the engine sounded like it was accelerating
(intake sound), but it just wouldnt get there like it should have. it was such a gradual loss of
power (over a year) that i had no clue as to the cause. the way our fuel management works, it
compensates for the rings going and actually keeps a decent air-fuel ratio going, so you end up with
just low power (as opposed to stumbling/missing). a 16v with good compression will have decent
torque even at low rpm. take the rieger for example. it has an FN tranny (diesel trans, very wide
ratio), and i drive around at 30-40 mph in 4th (about 1600 rpm) and have no problems accelerating in
normal traffic. had i tried this in my first scirocco it would have been slowing down with it
floored.
    use this as a guide: a stock 1.8 16v makes approx 90 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 rpm. this is only
about 15% less than its torque peak. a safe estimate is about 80 ft-lbs at idle. this torque should
be able to at least push you back into the seat a bit. if you're having such low torque that the
5-10 ft-lbs required for the a/c compressor makes launching difficult, your engine is making way
less torque than it should be.

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)