swapping windshields?

umm, i used my bare hands (and feet).
okok, heres the procedure.

**read full procedure before you begin**

    you need a firm constant even pressure pushing the windshield outwards during this procedure. i
sat in the seat and planted my feet (with soft soled shoes on) in the center of the windshield,
pushing upward/outward. only push enough to the point where you can see slight movement of the
glass. while doing this, pull the rubber lip away from the frame. you may need something like a
screwdriver to start it going. you must pull the rubber lip far enough away to get some seperation
such that you can see the seam. keep the pressure with your feet and the lip will stay up at the
places where you have seperated it. work your way around the left and top half, saving the corner
for last. keep in mind that you arent completely disengaging the gasket at this point, just working
the windwhield outward a bit. dont get impatient, you only want about 1/8" of outward movement total
at the a-pillar, not completely out yet. do the same on the passenger side. also note that i never
mess with the lower side of the gasket, i get the other 3 sides and slip the glass out, then remove
the bottom carefully (much easier with no glass in the way).
    now for the trick, there are metal 'teeth' that crab a ledge of the rubber gasket. it takes a
second pass around the gasket, working it away from the body of the car. the teeth point in towards
the inside of the car, so you have to work the interior part of the gasket completely up and over
the teeth or else you risk tearing the gasket. you will have to grab and pull towards you, then away
from the body (you will actually hear the rubber pop over the teeth, making kind of a zipper sound).
    i've used this method several times, even on a windshield that had a split up the center (and it
still came out in one piece).
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)