A3 Rear Calipers

I just finished installing some red A3 "Driver's Edition" rear calipers on
my 87 16v.  For those of you in need of rear calipers, this is the way to
go.   Both the e-brake mechanism and the self-adjusting mechanism are far
superior to the stock A1 calipers.  To adjust the e-brake, you simply take
the slack out of the cable.  You're done.  Instead of the usual "pump it
forty times" Bentley procedure (followed by a week's driving) to get the
self-adjusting mechanism set on the A1 caliper, you pump it about 20 times
and you are done.  Drive away.  Its perfect.

The only drawback is turning them upside down to bleed them, but that's
easy.  Mount them up, attach the brake line, remove the mounting bolts and
flip the caliper upside down.  It will rest on the ground with the brake
line stabilizing it.  Use a vacuum or pressure bleeder and you're all
set.  It should not be a problem in the future unless you manage to
introduce air into the system.  You will not have to do this to simply
flush the system.

Potter is currently selling the A3 DE rear calipers for $85 (includes
carrier and pads) in his "Blowout" section.  It's a great deal.  I also
replaced my master cylinder with a Corrado non-ABS model.  Its slightly
longer, has the same piston size and costs a lot less.

John
Long Beach
(All new brakes!)