Timing light beginner- Help

I am trying to check my timing on my stock Scirocco 16v motor.  I have a
decent light that has the "inductive" clamp that goes on the center dizzy
wire. Pretty simple setup really.  Whne I lean on the drivers fender and
shoot down and across under the intake boot I can see 2 marks.  One is
pretty much centered and the other is just barely in view about  a
quarter-half inch away toward the front of the car.  At Idle that is.  As I
speed up the engine, conservatively, that first mark slides on back as the
next one in front comes into center view and as I keep increasing it to
keeps moving untill it is out of view to the "rear"  All this before I reach
~3000 rpm.  Is this about right?   Bently says that the "mark' (6<TDC should
be lined up.  That looks right but I didnt expect it to advance that much.
Anyone elses experiance similar?   Ive never seen one b4

Thanks as allways.
Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion "...it's working....It's WORKING...!"
tracing electrical gremlins now...
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"