Help!!!(OT) Passat Problems

--- JoshuaA.Conner@VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> I just got off the phone with my very trusted mechanic
> (Steve @German
> Village Autohaus) just informed me that my heater core
> from my '93 Passat
> GLX VR6 is blown.  Which would explain why coolant dumped
> on the drivers
> side floor by my feet by the way.  Wasn't there a
> recall/lawsuits about
> this?  My mechanic said he vaguely remembers this.  Alas
> he does not do
> heater core replacements anymore( for any amount of
> money).  Any one got
> some info?  I dont think i can afford to pay to have the
> dash taken apart
> for heater core replacement right now.

Lessee, heater core info I have:

Yes, there was some sort of recall on it but I don't know
what years etc were covered.  I know it was apparantly for
the VR6 cars only.  (Grumble, see below)

Second, the current owner of my former Passat (16v) had his
core blow last winter and managed to bitch to VWoA about it
well enough where they covered the repairs.  (Was 4 hours
from home etc.)  I would strongly encourage you to do this.

I however, am not so lucky and don't want to risk being
stranded miles from home this winter, hence my wagon is
coming apart THIS WEEKEND for it's very own heater core
replacement even though it hasn't blown yet.  (I'm guessing
it's due to anytime.)  From what I've gathered so far
(Bentley basically sez "take it somewhere to have it
done.") you must discharge the a/c system, AND the ENTIRE
dashboard has to come out.  I am NOT looking forward to
doing this job, but at least have some help (lister Anson
Clement) coming into town for the weekend.  C'mon over if
ya like, but don't bitch if you get put to work.  ;p

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did?  Don't do that.'" - Douglas Adams